(I got a Boston cream pie for Pi Day, which is sponge cake layered with pastry cream and topped with chocolate ganache. I don’t care if it’s cake. It’s still pie, and it makes me So. Happy.)
So… it feels like I pretty much got sod all done this weekend. I did get my serk hemmed, and that was super easy, and I’m glad it’s done, so we can just stick a fork in that.
And then we can stick a fork in my EYE, because then I went to hem my smokkr and discovered that unhemmed, it’s already an inch shorter than I prefer my dresses. So I thought I would do a tablet-woven hem, which looked great and also puckered the fabric, because where you insert the needle to sew it on matters a lot. Like A LOT.
So given that I spent a good couple of hours on this and managed to snip the warp as I cut it off for the second time, I decided that it was time to literally cut my losses and finish the hem some other way. I just have no more time or energy to devote to working this technique out.
I don’t want this dress to be any shorter than it already is, so at this point, given my time limitations, I’m going to bind the hem with silk. We don’t know if they did this for sure, but we also don’t know that they didn’t, so… here we go.
I have this beautiful deep orange silk
taffeta shantung that I got from Silk Baron, and I think it looks amazing with the Bombay brown wool, so tonight I cut two 2” strips and folded them like double-fold bias tape, so the visible binding will be 1/2” wide. I’ll probably need one more strip, but I’ll cut that when I get to needing it.
So really, all that happened this weekend was that I discovered that tablet-woven edges are trickier than they look, and I cut the binding for my dress. Hopefully sewing that on will go smooth; I still have hosur to sew and documentation to write.
It’s late, and I should try to go to bed. Tomorrow is another day. Night, y’all.