This is the first garment which I’ve made a pattern for. Help was given by Lord Bartholomew Sharpe. I’m very happy I remembered which piece to cut in half and which NOT to cut on the fold. I was considering (as seen in above pics) to use one piece of fabric, and trying to piece as much as needed to conserve fabric. I realized a great deal of piecing would be needed, and I own a LOT of fabric. I took the fabric I was going to use for the bodice, and used it for the skirts.
I am happy with myself that I figured out not to cut from the center of the fabric. Yay me. I don’t know why I folded the edge diagonally though. It was late and I was tired?
I then ironed my “hems.” This makes it easier for me to know where I’m lining up my edges and stitching. I don’t have to roll anything, it’s all folded and won’t unroll. Also, I love quilt clips. This linen ironed like a DREAM. You may be able to see the slight difference in color between the two linens and how absolute marginal it is. I’m very happy about that.
Now there’s a small problem. My skirt has tailors chalk on it. (The other skirt side does as well. Reversing the sides would not alleviate the issue.) I have wiped it with a wet cloth. I have not tried steam, as I’m afraid this will “set” the chalk. I have, however, reversed and re-ironed the hems, so the panel is on the correct side.
Now the panels are on the correct sides, “pinned” correctly, and ready for my favorite part: stitching! (Loooooots of stitching!) These linen panels will be stitched with linen thread from White Wolf & Phoenix. In the future, I foresee a black velvet trim being added along the sides and bottom. As that will take a lot of time I don’t have, this will happen after the contest.