When I first started this project I used this picture as inspiration for a headpiece, because I believed that under this women’s hair was some kind of cap. However upon looking more closely I now believe that there is in fact no cap, and the decoration on her head is some kind of circlet. I am still not 100% sure but I decided to change my course anyway. And if anyone has and idea what she might be wearing I would love to hear your opinion!
So I decided on a very popular cap seen in many paintings from this time, which can be seen in the following paintings,
I have never made a cap like this before so everything was guess work. I used the same fabric for the cap as I used for the middle bodice piece on the dress as I wanted it to match.
To start the cap I took a rectangular piece of fabric and sewed it once length wise and width wise. Then I cut a thinner rectangular piece which is what I made the band out of. I also used a piece of canvas to line the band in order to make it more durable
Then I sewed them together to end up with this,
Then I based stitched down that black line and pulled the thread to create a set of pleats and shorten the cap all together. I kept the extra fabric inside to add some volume.
Then I wanted to decorate the band so I added some pearls,
Then I found some trim I had from a previous project that I thought would look great with it, so I sewed it on, and this is the final results